Wednesday, February 25, 2009

sp(r)outing discontent

Why the gap between the writing life and the academic life? I feel slightly skeptical of the value of even using phrases like 'the writing/academic life' which appear either artificial or incestuous. Give me a Philip Larkin or Barbara Kingsolver, living writers of the ordinary and to hell with high modern writer-artists. Despite my rancor, I'm writing a paper on these same strange self-appointed high artists and must spout my slightly hypocritical discontent. 



 




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the incestuousness of academia. I always wondered why professors seem to walk with a limp, lack essential hygiene, and dress like a 50's COC preacher getting-his-plaid-on. Now I know, they're simply part of a degraded gene pool. =)

Zach