Sunday, March 25, 2007

At the close of March


there are a few simple things on my mind.
1. Folk music is wonderful in the spring time. It is wonderful in the stacks of the Baker Old Class as well.
2. Audiobooks are a complex experience. I can't listen to serious works like _Mrs. Dalloway_ but I can listen to children's and young adult books. Audio will never beat good old paper and binding.
3. I was accepted to PSU and am pretty cas about it. Perhaps this is because I haven't heard about financial aid yet and it's hard to let go of Eugene and all of the wonderful library studies advice everyone has been giving me lately. On the other hand, I would love to be back in school studying my favorite things- books, and to be on the academic schedule take academic vacations!
4. I'm pretty sure I don't want to be an academic librarian. If I have to do research in English lit., I want it to be my own.
5. After living in frozen New England, my dream European countries are Portugal and Italy. I am definitely one for sunshine and warmth. Also, I think my extraordinarily long limbs are responsible for my not embracing sweater, scarf, and coat weather. Lots of clothes simply cannot contain my unwieldy limbs.
6. Horned melons are mosiac window panes packed into a skin.
7. Barbara Kingsolver, Anne Patchett, Philip Pullman, and Josh Ritter are helping me make it through.

2 comments:

Katie said...

What are you reading by Kingsolver and Patchett? I love The Poisonwood Bible - phenomenal - and I also loved Bel Canto, though it made me so sad. Here's to springier weather soon!

Walking by Walden said...

Hey Katie- I just finished Bel Canto tonight. Wonderful and sad and a little like Blindness with less inspiration or maybe just less intention.
I read the Poisonwood Bible in January. It was one of the greatest books. I just finished Prodigal Summer and I'm reading some essays out of High Tide in Tucson.