Sunday, April 8, 2007

The Homecoming

Another cold, quite blustery, April day.

Zach and I celebrated by breaking our vegetarian meat-fast with delicious pork chops cooked with sweet potatoes, pineapples, and apples. It is obvious that our Veg- zealosity is easily swayed by any holiday that is traditionally associated with carnivorous festivities. In truth though, we rarely eat meat and we never do so at restaurants. Cage free and hormone free will benefit us if not the animals.

In other news- we have made a decision that amazingly enough hasn't really changed in the past two weeks. I am going to accept admission to PSU but defer it for a semester or maybe a year. In the meantime, before our lease expires on June 30, we will pack up our lives and move them to Denver where we will reside for an unknown time period in my parents newly furnished basement apartment. I feel a mixture of worry and happiness about this decision but a good amount of certainty. We've survived in this outrageously expensive place very admirably and I've adapted to New England life tolerably well. I certainly have friends and coworkers who I truly don't want to leave behind, (it is very hard to imagine starting over again in the people department). If you have people- why lose or leave them? But the same can be said for family. If you have family, don't lose them to strangerdom. I am very excited to reenter the daily lives of my sisters, parents, and my sweet Westley (dog). I'm relieved that I will be living just a city and 30 minutes away from my CU bound sis. I grew up very quickly the first time and am hopeful about rebonding with and contributing to my family.

I definitely worry about Zach though. I worry about being fair to him and to his family. And I definitely worry about losing our utterly blissful, self-centered life up here. It has been a struggle, but our isolation and independence from everyone we have strong ties to has made us everything to one another. Every dirty dish in our apartment, every piece of laundry, and every single picture on the wall attests to a life completely chosen by the two of us.

I really hope that Zach's brother will move to Denver as well. I know that Zach would love the family presence and the chance to just hang out with him.

Our plans basically consist of:
1. Saving money for the eventual move
2. Paying off some student loans
3. Attending a course each semester (me- Spanish at CU, Zach either Spanish or into courses to Urban Planning)
4. Trying to maintain a deliberate, independent lifestyle
5. Breathing in the love

Easter blessings to all.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I am so glad you're gaining a sense of certainty about life, even if it means leaving some things behind. Bravo, Zach and Sarah!

Still keeping y'all in my thoughts...