Saturday, May 5, 2007

In the wake of Barbara

Our excursion to Washington DC was marvelous (minus the adventurous return trip). The talk/reading was very enjoyable. Barbara K. has a melodic, poised and perfectly accentless speaking voice (surprising as she is Kentuckyan). The talk, as well as my dips into her book, has left me far more aware of the food that I consume on a daily basis and the way that my food choices impact everyone from small farmers to the environment. Lest this become another one of those blogs, I won't go on with environmental jargon but will say that once again, Barbara has chosen a very important human issue and written about it with perspective, charisma, humor, and deep sincerity. When she signed our books, she was so personable and inviting that I ventured a nerdy comment about how I read her books in high school and was from Tempe AZ. She responded very graciously and even commented on Zach's excessively nerdy "Stop Mountaintop Removal" shirt. What a wonderful gift from my Zach.

We also lunched with Alex, our friend from Abilene who roomed with Zach across several undergraduate years. It was wonderful and as Alex said, a miracle- like meeting someone from a different life. I hope he will come visit us in Boston before we leave.

Yesterday I finished a book by Jane Goodall called _Reason for Hope_. I love that despite her scientific background, she is a mystic and a very faithfilled person. I hope that one day I will be as filled with peace as she is. Her book and story have inspired me not to give up on my hope of a meaningful career and a very deliberate life. Most men lead lives of quiet desperation. I doing my best to wait quietly and hopefully to hear what I must do.

Congratulations to Katie and Jeremiah. I know I've been waiting for this news for a long time. I wish you both happiness and fulfillment in one another. Blessings!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Thanks, Sarah! It's been fun for us to share our joy with all the people who love us. :) And you got to meet Barbara Kingsolver! I'm so jealous!