Wednesday, March 4, 2009

WTF mate!? Frank Sargeson and Zach

This afternoon Zach required a nap but couldn't fall asleep. I sat on the bed with him, brimming over with enthusiasm for a new short story writer. I tried not to talk about it. Finally I asked him to let me read a short one to him aloud. Reading aloud to him is a habit that I can't control and one that annoys him because he can't follow aurally, but I felt this story was one he couldn't miss. 
I read the story quickly. It was only four small pages with a lot of dialogue. Probably took 4 minutes. As I finished I read faster and faster in anticipation of the cracker ending. 

'You want to lift the pan right up, Victor said. They're burning. 
Well Elsie lifted the pan and Victor dumped the cat in the fire. Elsie just stood there, and Victor grabbed the pan and jammed it down on top of the cat. 
Then, not far away, you could hear the car, and Victor went over to put his shirt on.
Look here, Elsie, he said, it's a fortnight to next sale day. If I was in your shoes I'd look around for another job.' 

"Well?" I asked triumphantly.
There was a significant pause.  "What!?" 
"You didn't understand it?"
"Maybe I fell asleep" 
and then ten minutes later I hear from the other room.  
'You're a five legged monster! Aren't you wearing slippers and heels from a castle?' 

No comments: