Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Camarones de la Diabla en el Invierno de nuestro descontento

This past week has been very busy but remained very dull. I worked like a mad librarian all weekend and the weedled away my days of (M and W) out of sheer fatigue. We did find the most perfect restaurant in Boston. Actually, it's in Southie, it's Mexican, and it's possitively heavenly. I adore any restaurant that can serve a dish with 5 different chilis, banana, and dark Aztec chocolate for under $20. Of course, we didn't get the $20 dish, but settled for veggie fajitas, spicy spicy shrimp cooked in garlic, butter, and Yucaton green chili sauce, and glasses of Sangria (my fav.). I have never felt such love for a restaurant (though I think in part this love is due to a tender wave of nostalgia for Arizona. Sadly, my delicate hubby seems to be allergic to red wine and was forced to retire early while I read terrifying short stories by my new delight- Joyce Carol Oates. Consequentially I am sitting in our lonely little living room with every window locked, every blind drawn, and every light on.
In the way of other news, my suspicion that I would hate, abhor, and despise real winter has been confirmed repeatedly. I am simply not cut out for it. All I want to do is stay home in my blankets, watch movies about Mexico, read books about the Southwest, and order spicy Mexican food. But instead I have to go to work, to grocery stores, and to the post office to mail applications. I agree with Julie when she writes of longing for breezy summer dresses... Oh for June.
We are making a trip this bitter season to the Pacific Northwest and our potential future home. We'll spend a week between Seattle, Portland, Eugene, and Pullman. I can't wait!!!
In the mean time, I will cuddle up to my scruffy valentine and dream of sunburns and swimming pools.

No comments: