Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Today I was offered a job at the Harvard Baker library today working in Historical Collections as a Public Assistant, in other- smaller- words, a page, student worker, or a temp. I accepted and will start next week. I must say goodbye to bi-monthly four day weekends and the everyother day work week. I'm a real grown up now. My NFL boss, Gila says that it will be quite an opportunity to see another more prestigous side of library science. I am often attracted to academia, and the view from under the high brow... but I am also dedicated to public service, socialized government institutions, and public education. Maybe a mixture of Newton Public and Harvard Business libraries will challenge both self-perceptions. This morning, before I heard from the library, I sent in a letter to the YMCA inquiring after a swimming instructor position. I think I would have loved teaching people and little people to learn to swim. Maybe summer would have felt closer too. I am a bit worried about spending all my days in libraries but hopefully Harvard's ridiculously beautiful windows will compensate for a lack of open air.
On another encouraging and scary note, the literacy coordinator of NFL matched me up with an Iranian woman who speaks English competently but needs help writing. Like I said, scary and intimidating, but maybe this is a start towards something meaningful.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Congratulations on the Harvard Library job. That sounds like it would be fun. Don't be intimidated by the Iranian lady. She needs the help, you have the knowledge. Just be nice and friendly and you'll do fine. Good luck!

Julie said...

You will succeed mightily at all of these things. When I think of Sarah Herrington-Shaner, I think of libraries -- and you know that's a huge compliment! :-)