Tuesday, February 27, 2007

I have decided.

Today in the staff lunch room at the Newton Free Library I decided upon a way of choosing my future profession. I will base my decision on an examination of 55 year old women who have chosen each profession using three main categories in order of increasing importance:
1. Hairsyle: whether or not there is a style and whether or not it has changed in the past 20 years.
2. Degree of retained awareness of contemporary clothing styles.
3. Desirability of the packed lunch!

In truth I have seriously been considering library school. Yesterday, after working at Baker library, I had decided against it for the time being. I knew that I needed to work with people rather than research materials or special collections a.k.a. very old, fragile paper products. But this morning, after working with my ESL student for our first serious lesson together, I was convinced that being a community or branch librarian who works with either ESL or bilingual collection development and bilingual public services was exactly what I wanted. I told my boss Gila about my "decision" and she first, was very encouraging, and second, asked me if that meant I wanted to get more experience by working Saturday. (: Right now, I am hesitant to make any sort of decision, especially one that would require another rushed application process. If I were to go to library school in the near future, however, it would not be in Boston.

I am very relieved that I seem to be getting over my monstrous cold. But, of course, now that I am getting well, Zach is coming down with a soar throat/head ache/congestion. It's oddly endearing to think of him sick in bed just like I was on Saturday... because now we really share everything!

1 comment:

Zach said...

No spam and kidney beans for my wife.