Saturday, June 13, 2009

Taco Time

I haven't written in three days because three days ago Zach came back to the UK! We met in Oxford outside the Sheldonian theatre where I had been waiting in an ungodly line for Coetzee to sign my books. As soon as Zach called I ditched the autograph line and made for the door. 

Zach lost his wallet in Oxford, possibly at the hotel, probably in a taxi. The biggest loss was a wad of international cash but really, it's not so bad. 

Less than two weeks until our departure. In the meantime we're packing up our life once again and counting down the days until tacos reenter our vocabulary and our digestive tracts. 

I've been reading the short stories for the Commonwealth Foundation competition. I feel quite torn because many of the stories aren't suitable for this competition, but they're almost all really interesting. I wonder if it's possible to teach or be peripherally involved in creative writing in the future?  

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, I think my husband Matthew has already sent you a message on facebook, but we have Zachary's wallet! It was left sitting on our garden wall on Hertford Street in east Oxford. We just found it tonight. No cash, but cards, driver's license, etc.

By this time he has probably replaced everything in the wallet (?), but we would be happy to send it back to you in the US if you send us an address. Coincidentally, I'm an American who now resides permanently in the UK. My email is chimene.bateman@gmail.com.

Best wishes and sorry your trip to Oxford was marred by the loss of the wallet.

Walking by Walden said...

Oh wow for the possibilities of internet. Thank you much! I'm glad you got a hold of him. We haven't had much internet access since we've returned so I didn't get your message. Thank you thank you! xx Sarah

Unknown said...

No problem at all; it's just too bad you lost the cash. (Now fingers crossed it doesn't get lost in the post...) And yeah, the internet does make the world very small.

You both sound like lovely people. Enjoy being back in the States!

xx Chimene