Thursday, December 7, 2006

A Modest Proposal

Instead of writing my semester paper for postcolonial literature, I am going to write about writing it. I chose to write about the God of Small Things because I had already read it and it was one of my fav's. I was feeling kinda guilty at first because a lot of people in the class seemed to be reading their books for the first time. Another girl in my class is also writing about the God of Small Things and discussing our book with her I realized that she hardly caught the Roy's genius or the subtle complexity of the plot. In writing my paper I am realizing how enjoyable it is to write when you have all this knowledge on the book, and when all these secret passages touch you and prod your consciousness as you write. This must be what makes a dissertation worthwhile!
On that note, I propose an alternitive form for advanced literature classes. I propose that courses should be limited to 8 books (as opposed to 14 in American Lit!) (adjustabe depending upon length and density). These books should be read during the first 2/3 of the semester. During the last, no new books should be assigned. Instead, each student (or group depending on size) should sign up for one book to reread and present to the class an indepth critical and textual analysis with secondary sources that will be compiled at the end of the semester. If the students hates all books in the course, they should be allowed to choose an appropriate alternate book approved by the professor. Students should only have to reread one book during this time but should be able to reread as many times as necessary for ultimate enjoyment and comprehension of the text and so that they can write an honest, capable analysis.
Now I must return to work and resist the temptation to watch more of Pride and Prejudice (my only true addiction). Instead I will listen to my lyrical Damien and Lisa.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Sarah! I had no idea you had a blog, but now that I know I am ecstatic beyond all reason. I will very sneakily keep up with you this way -- basically stalk you from afar. Hoorah!

Julie said...

Yes! Let us know when you are coming in to town, and if y'all need a place to stay we have an extra room and plenty of cats! :-)