Monday, December 18, 2006

Not Skiing

Graduation is over, papers are turned in, and we've made the long drive to Denver. It was wonderful to see so many old friends and so much family. Late night rendevous with Susan, Skillets encounters with Scott and Jennifer, dinner with Dr. Morris, stolen time with Stephanie, and a breakfast send off by the ever-generous Sosebees. The visit was pretty perfect, providing nostalgia and necessary closure to the school and community. I so want to keep in touch though.
Today, as I type from the office of my parents' home in Littleton still wearing a t-shirt and sweatpants, Zach and my brother-in-law are on top of a mountain skiing.
I am not with them for two reasons:
1. It's freakin 9 degrees on that mountain. In that temperature, a person like myself can only think of curling up in a ball and reading, sleeping, or crying- INside.
2. The last time I was courageous enough to try a new rugged sport for the sake of a boy, I left the mountain humiliated, bleeding from various brand new orifices, and having damaged said boy's mother's bike.
So in exchange for being alone in the house on a beautiful winter's day I will keep my dignity.
In all seriousness, I do hope to learn to ski in the next year or so but on a smaller mountain and with less intimidating ski-partners.
Happy Week before Christmas!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Sarah, I will happily be your bad-skier friend when we visit Denver sometime. Bret and I loved seeing you guys this weekend! I know exactly what you mean about not liking Abilene, but also feeling that such friends will never exist elsewhere. I miss having an Englishy friend like you here, and I hope you come visit again soon. Have a great holiday in Colorado!

And I like your glasses immensely. The end.